Nuclear Stress Test
A Nuclear stress test is a common test to have done. Typically the doctors order this to check and see if there is any possible blockages (cholesterol built up reducing blood flow) to your arteries. This is done by injecting you with a nuclear tracer and taking pictures of your heart while resting and exercising. Early detection of a possible blockage could prevent you from a heart attack.
Things You Can Expect:
Being hooked up to an IV
Laying still on the Nuclear table for close to 15 minutes with your left arm above your head (for the pictures)
Either walking on a treadmill or given a medication to mimic as if you were on a treadmill
For more information on a nuclear stress test click here.
Cardiac Nuclear Stress Testing Prepping:
(Lexiscan or Exercise):
Cardiac Nuclear Stress Testing (Lexiscan or Exercise):
- NO CAFFEINE OR DECAFFEINATED PRODUCTS 24 HOURS PRIOR TO TESTING. This includes soda, coffee, tea, chocolate, and medications that contain caffeine.
- Nothing to eat or drink 4 hours prior to test and NO smoking 4 hours prior to testing. However, water is encouraged.
- Stop any Imdur 24 hours prior to the test IF YOU ARE DOING A LEXISCAN.
- Bring any Imdur, inhaler, insulin and glucose meter in case needed.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing. (Avoid any metal across your chest- zippers, buttons, snaps, and necklaces).
- Avoid lotions, oils, and powders. MEN- If you are going to be on the treadmill you will need to be shaved. You may do so yourself or we will do it here.
- Please expect to be here from anywhere 2-4 hours. We encourage you to bring a light snack and something to drink, just keep in mind the no caffeine.
- IF YOU ARE PREGNANT OR BREASTFEEDING YOU CAN NOT HAVE THIS TEST DONE!
* We will call 2 days ahead of time to confirm with you. If we do not confirm by 3pm the second day we WILL cancel this. Also, confirming with the automatic system for the stress test is NOT considered a confirmation with our office, we need to personally speak with you.
*If for some reason, you do not show or not follow the preparation for testing there will be a $59 fee charged to you. The medication that is used for the cardiac testing is specific to your height and weight.